Monday, July 12, 2010

Thoughts on Autocross planning

Rating cars will be the hard part - this auto-x will be different than SCCA/NASA/AAS et al - 'cause the base model(s) are so close. I'm going to diverge a little from past add-it-up methods, but those will be a starting point.

Two things make the difference in the car:
HP and Tires.

I'm tentatively going to do a points thing for HP and modifier points for suspension - then another modifier/multiplier for tires...

I'll be going to a few local events to see what tires and what cars I see doing what times.
What I need there is for the clubs to send extensive info about cars (what car, what mods) and number of autocrosses driven, and what tires (and maybe how old).

I've got a few months to work out the bugs on paper via statistical gathering.

The One bad wild card is the Driver... We did an MM autocross where Dennis Jack and I uprated certain cars due to driver, we might do that again - trophy distribution and competition was MUCH more even.

1 comment:

  1. Just chatted with Hans at Niello MINI, starting the attempt at anew car classification mathod - still looking at the tabulated plus-minus list, but think we might follow the NASA GT cars thing.
    ~also working on the Mini Mini thing - I'm choosing to call them Mini MkI/II - S, etc, and R5-x
    So I guess we'll call 'em Mini Mk-x/S/etc and Mini R5-x/S/Works.

    ReplyDelete